When originally designing this project, I had two different materials from what I ended up with. it’s amazing how your design process can totally throw you in a different direction…
The project required us to find two objects in a natural setting and attach them in some way with something linear.. I found a bell shaped piece of metal and was thinking about how I could attach it to this cool rock I had. I thought of metal. I wrapped the wire around the rock three times, to mimic the three sides of the bell object. Since there was a hole in the middle of the bell, I was going to run the wire through the hole and have the bell standing over the rock… I was not happy with the way it looked, but I loved the rock so I decided to save the bell for another day and look for something else to pair with the rock..
I loved the look of the wood (which turns out to be cedar) and I had another piece that was flatter and I went searching again for something… I found a piece of Eucalyptus. I loved the simplicity of the way these two objects could be combined and I decided to drill a hole in the cedar wood, take a small piece of twine that I found and threaded it through the wood up to the stem of the eucalyptus. I brought the stem through the hole and knoted it at the bottom which helps support the piece to stand upright.
What I really love about this object is the process I went through to get the end product. My idea completely changed and my thought process and my ability to adapt to the change surprised me. I am also very motivated by my senses and the cedar and eucalyptus smell wonderful together. I love the simplicity of it.. how organic it looks – you cannot see the twine without looking closer to the piece..